Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD

To: <craxd1@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:03:31 -0500
The problem with most of the cheaper spectrum analyzers is that they don't
have enough resolution. For IM measurements you need a 200 or 300 HZ
bandwidth filter and enough stability to sweep only a few khz of the
spectrum at a time. Even some of the moderately priced units will not do
that. The old HP141 will do it but even it has stability trouble with the
1.2 ghz rf head in it. You really need the 110 mhz rf front end in it so it
is stable enough for the narrow sweeps needed to look at close spaced tones
used for IM measurements.

This is why I suggested a receiver with a good cw filter in it as an
alternative. It is much cheaper and easier to use than most of the cheaper
spectrum analyzers.

73
Gary  K4FMX