Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD

To: "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:37:01 -0400

I don't think I used the word "precise" there.

How far should we then tune away from the wanted signal for any kind of
repeatability? In which direction? Do we tune to several different
frequencies and record the levels at each? How do we correlate that with the
levels of which fundamentals?

> We know now the test initially claimed to measure IM average
> power ratios measures something near peak power, misses some
> of the third order and much of the higher order products,
> and probably isn't useful on the air except under certain
> conditions.

Can you tell us what voice frequencies will NOT be transmitted so we can
calculate which IM products will not be generated at which frequencies?

Is measuring IM products using voice as a source by any means good for
anything at all?

> Is this test explained correctly anyplace? Is it explained
> incorrectly anyplace where it should be corrected?

We are attempting. :>)
What is your point?

73
Gary  K4FMX