Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking for IMD
From: "m.ford" <k1ern@pioneerwireless.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:44:50 -0400
Am I the only one on earth that has been looking at the SDR-14 ??

It is now 1100 up from 1000. Pretty cheap for a FFT analyzer that
will change the way you think about the radio spectrum. There is
nothing new about using an SA for a receiver. And there is nothing
new about using a receiver for a SA.

My first FFT analyzer was the Sound Technology SpectraPLUS.
Audio only but after using it for more than 10 years I am convinced.
The license cost me about 500 then and I now run it on an overclocked
486 to view the audio from my receiver. I can see interference etc. and
deal with it in real time. I use to dream of the day when CPU speeds
and 32 bit processors would make the same performance possible for RF.
That day has come and gone and I now have the SDR-14 running at 3 ghz
on a P4.  You have to see this thing perform to understand what it is.
You also need a good understanding of quadrature mixing and the derivation
of I and Q products to fully grasp what is going on.

High speed CPU's and FFT have changed the test equipment scene forever.

Mike  k1ern