Re: [Amps] Anodizing aluminum, painting etc.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Anodizing aluminum, painting etc.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:34:00 -0400
Steve,

That's what I always thought, that the device was supposed to be in contact
with a flat surface (flat as much as possible, or machined flat). Once anything
is introduced between the device and the metal, the heat transfer starts to be
interupted. For RF power transistors, I would think one would want the very
minimum amount of compound between the device and the heatsink. Anodizing
is about the same process that's done to the foil on an electrolytic capacitor
except a dye is introduced. The anodizing itself is what creates the insulative
layer, not the dye per say. It may add to it, I don't know. The way I was
always
taught was black absorbs heat, and anything bright like white or silver
reflects it.
I would think the mass or thickness directly under the device is what will help
keep it cool, and the find transfer the heat to cool it off by the air
circulating past
them. I can't see where black would help this at all, unless they say the black
helps with the heat transfer to the air. If so, what does the heatsink to with
the
extra heat it obtains from absorbing infrared radiation if black? I surely
don't see
how it could help heat transfer from the device to the heatsink itself.

A test for anyone that would want to try it is take two pieces of identical
heatsink,
one painted black, one bright (not painted), and place them outside in the
sun. After about an hour, check the temperature of each. I believe I'd want the
coolest one in contact with the transistors myself.

Best,

Will