Re: [Amps] Anodizing aluminum, painting etc.

To: garyschafer@comcast.net, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Anodizing aluminum, painting etc.
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:57:28 -0400
At 12:42 PM 8/17/2006 -0400, Gary Schafer wrote:
>A heat sink is really a heat exchanger just like an air conditioner. Making
>the heat sink heavier by making it a larger block doesn't necessarily make
>it a better heat sink. Larger will hold more heat but it is surface area
>that gets rid of the heat.

     I have found one odd exception as far as heat sinks go. What you state
is very true. Just take a look inside most inexpensive UPSs for PC
computers. They usually don't have finned heat sinks but just a large mass
attached to the power transistors. That is one reason that they can power
the computer for such a short time.  It's not just because of the battery
size.  The larger heavy duty commercial ones have finned heat sinks.

73
Bill wa4lav