Re: [Amps] Anodizing aluminum, painting etc.

To: tonne@comcast.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Anodizing aluminum, painting etc.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:20:34 -0400
Jim,

That's what I'm getting at really. The amount of solid aluminum in the heatsink
will cause it to stay cooler longer, and the fins are used to dissapate the
heat into the atmosphere (surface area). Since RF transistors are only
producing power mostly while a signal is present, their duty cycle is lower
than one which is powered up continuous. This allows the heat from the
transistors to be dissapated between key downs, and the size of the heatsink is
what counts here along with the design of the fins. Someone mentioned about
Avid saying to use black where there's no other source of heat around. To me,
this is pretty hard to do especially in a mobile situation. Since black abosrbs
heat, I would think what heat is absorbed would be added to the heat that the
heatsink has to dissapate into the atmosphere from the device. Black would be
ok I guess in a dark room, but in the daylight, I can't see it unless it's
hidden from infrared radiation. You can leave something with a dark col
 or inside a car, and it will get hot on a sunny day. Matter of fact, it can
get pretty darn hot! Since the heatsink is already this hot, when you turn on
the amp, and the transistros produce their own heat, that heatsink would have
to be hotter than it normally would be if IR radiation hadn't gotten to it. It
would have to be an addative effect. If it was silver, it would have reflected
this IR radiation, and to heatsink would have been much cooler for the starting
operation of the transistors. That's just the way I see it, or is my personal
opinion.

Best,

Will