Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag

To: <AMPS@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Parasitics & Filament Sag
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:09:46 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:55:55 -0500, "Phil Clements"
<philc@texascellnet.com> wrote:

>I also have to
>assume that folks who have added a suppressor (copper or nichrome) to an
>8877 amp certainly have done no harm. It is sort of a win/win situation; if
>none was needed in the first place, you have changed nothing, and if it was
>needed, you have made an improvement.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

It won't be win/win if two conditions are present:

1. The suppressor really is needed.
and
2. The resistor gradually decreases in value due to overheating.

If the resistor decreases enough, the inductor is effectively shorted
out and the parasitics could begin.

Better to design out the suppressor in the first place, IMO. Easier
said than done I realize, but worth the effort I think.

--
Bill, W6WRT