Re: [Amps] Step Start on a 3KA Amp

To: ka1xo@juno.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Step Start on a 3KA Amp
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:59:14 -0400
Hal and everyone,

Personally, I always used a 1 second delay, but the transformer wasn't as large
as the one that I think you have, if it's the one you showed me photos of.
There's other factors like the capacitance in the filter and the current surge
added from it. When I say waiting until one settles down takes into account for
the current to normalize which sure helps the transformers windings. Most
everyone uses around 1/2 second though by seeing what's used on this reflector
and on the available kits. I still personally prefer 1 second though on my past
projects, I can sure wait that long for the transformer to start drawing a
normal current. Really, to do it right, one should watch the surge pulse time
with a storage scope using a shunt in the line lead. If you don't have a
storage scope, you can pick up a good used external storage adapter off ebay
pretty cheap. B&K made a decent one as I'm not sure of any other brands off the
top of my head. It saves the incoming signal to memory then you can re-play it
on the CRT. It has both voltage and time base controls just like a scope. It
mounts in the test lead line between the probe and the scope. A storage scope
works different than this though, unless it's some of the newer stuff.

In Hals case, he could have very well needed a longer delay until everything
normalized. The main surge current of the transformer though can be way larger
than the operating current. The cycles start as a sharp high spike and form a
bell curve as the time in cycles goes on growing weaker until it normalizes to
the operating current. You then have to add the capacitor charging current, and
the load current to this spike caused by the transformer itself. The larger the
transformer, the worse this is since the resistance of the primary drops with
increased size in volt amperes, and the stiffer the supply thus a better ripple
rating, the more it is.

Best,

Will