Re: [Amps] Titan 425 Reflected Power

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Titan 425 Reflected Power
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:13:14 -0400
Jim,

It sounds to me like you have a meter in the amp that is reading off, if
several other meters have shown a different swr after the amp, and all but the
amps meter have agreed. Most all meter circuits are the same, whether using a
strip line or a transformer. Two things that could be wrong is the circuit not
be balanced out (nulled) with if it has balancing caps. Another thing could be
a resistor that has lost its tolerance. Both circuits merely rectify the RF,
filter it, run it through a resistive divider circuit, and feed that to the
meter. The balancing caps are generally piston trimmers used to null out the
meter. They will be right where the RF is picked up at, whether it be a strip
line or a small toroidal transformer that the RF output line will go through.
The input tuning, nor the antenna relay wouldn't have anything to do with it as
generally the wattmeter/swr circuit is between the relay and the RF out jack.
That is in a lot of amps, if the relay was after the meter
 , then a relay contact could cause a false reading if it were dirty and
messing with the impedance. I'd about be the meter is out of adjustment somehow
though.

Best,

Will