[Amps] Class C amp for RTTY contesting...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Class C amp for RTTY contesting...
From: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 13:20:50 -0600
I enjoy RTTY contesting and would consider building (or converting) and
amplifier dedicated to that mode. I read on this reflector a while back that a
Class C amplifier could be used with the advantage of higher amplifier
efficiency.

I have a few questions about this idea:

What would be needed to convert a "traditional" linear (AL-1200, AL-1500, L-4B,
TL-922, etc) to strictly Class C operation?

Is there a specific tube (or tube series) that would be more efficient when run
in this class?

What efficiency could be expected?

Does Class C provide more/less gain (drive power) to obtain 1500 Watts output?

TIA for the education!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN