Re: [Amps] Class C amp for RTTY contesting...

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Class C amp for RTTY contesting...
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 02:48:59 -0500
> How come so many of the old rigs managed to key a low
> level stage without getting too much in the way of clicks?
> I can see that a clamp tube would prevent too much
> sharpening of the edges, but there were an awful lot of
> designs out there that used fixed bias and low level
> keying without being as unfit for human consumption as
> many of today's rigs are.

I have a collection of old rigs. They certainly aren't that
good.

I don't have many waveform shots but here is a DX-60.
http://www.w8ji.com/heathkit.htm

I think the saving grace was receivers were so bad they
masked many of the transmitter problems. I'm sure back in
the early days of spark the transmitters were clean in
comparison to receivers.

73 Tom