Re: [Amps] History of Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] History of Amps
From: "Rich & DJ" <rdj@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:30:10 -0600
Here is my 2 cents worth, I am old, poor and slow but trying to learn
about amps and building one. I do not have an EE background but I like
to make things. I started a few parts for an amp, completed the power
supply, then hand made my plate variable capacitor. When I posted a
question and stated I had made it, the reply was not to use what I
"made" but "buy" a vacuum variable. When I posted that I was going to
use a tetrode tube in GG, I was told I should build a screen supply. I
was trying to keep it simple and not go for max power but learn as I go.
So after that I just read the mail and glean what I can for my
information. Just lately there were some posts on bias voltage in the
filament return that made me understand that a 2N3055 and zener would be
better than a string of diodes I had planned. I can always use the extra
diodes.
I still need information I can understand on the HV chokes but am
waiting for some one else to ask and maybe I will be able to figure out
what I need and get back to building my amp because I will wind my own
and not buy a choke.
I will get off my soap box and get back to building 3 J-poles , one for
me and two for some new hams in the area.
   I think every one should be allowed their ideas and questions and let
the reader read what they want.

New to building an amp, been around a while.    Rich from the middle of
Missouri.

73's kd0zz