Re: [Amps] QST

To: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>,"'Bill Fuqua'" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QST
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:33:20 -0500
Hal, Bill, et al,

I just HAVE to wade into this one --- sorry!

IMHO, the absolute worst, and by far, stupidist thing that the ARRL
management ever did, was splinter the once great QST into spin-off
"...satellite" publications. I'm referring, of course, to their "QEX", and
"The National Contest Journal".

"QEX" ripped the technical heart & soul out of QST. What was once a "leading
edge" Amateur tech voice --- i.e. QST --- became an emasculated shadow of
its former self. Ditto the vibrant, lively contest summaries that USED to
grace QST --- remember those wonderful write-ups? Reading them was like
re-living certain beloved contests all over again!

No more.

Again, it's a bare-bones, half-a**ed excuse of a summary --- and they don't
even list all of the participants' calls or scores anymore, either! Just the
top dogs, by division / area. If you want the meat & potatoes info, you'll
have to go on-line (yes, that's what they personally told me, too). Really
makes one want to participate in ARRL-sponsored events, doesn't it?!

What's the "raison d'etre" of QST with an editorial policy like that...?!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I get more good reading out of
just ONE pre-1976 issue of QST, than I do out of a half year's worth of the
newest stuff --- and it's NOT because my head is strictly into the "...old
technology", either.  I have nothing against the League, and I applaud what
it's been doing in defence of Ham Radio all these years...but I must say,
when my membership of some 30 straight years ran out awhile ago, & I stopped
receiving QST, I never even missed it...

I wish they'd "re-consolidate" QST, and bring it back to its former glory.
As its stands now, it's little more than a poilitically-correct "...trying
to please everyone but displeasing most everyone instead" kind of an effort
that will hardly make it collectable (to me, at any rate) like it continues
to be, but only in the form of issues from the earlier years...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

.