Re: [Amps] ML!-2500 Filter Cap Replacement

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] ML!-2500 Filter Cap Replacement
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:05:11 +0100 (CET)
Tom said:
>Carbon resistors should never be used for
critical voltage equalizing or voltage dropping
applications, because carbon resistors age down in value
with heat and time<

I've never found one that aged down in value, always the ones I've checked have
gone up in resistance. Even when they've never been installed, and that
includes brand new military ones in NATO sealed packages.
It's quite amazing how well some of the old gear still works with resistors
that were 20% tolerance to start with and in many cases, are now 50% tolerance.
But I agree whole heartedly about not using them for voltage equalising or
dropping.
73
Peter G3RZP

Message Received: Feb 19 2007, 10:32 AM
From: "Tom W8JI"
To: "amps" , "Kim Elmore"

>I have my Dad's MLA-2500 in my shack for what I suspect is
>a filter
> capacitor replacement job. It hadn't been operated in a
> long time and
> Dad wanted me to check everything out (he's had health
> problems). I
> was tuning it up and all seemed well until I heard a soft
> pfft,
> smelled a Bad Smell, and heard the PS hum loudly, clearly
> drawing
> lots of current.

There are a few component selection errors in Dentrons that
should always be taken care of immediately.

The major error is they used carbon resistors across the
electrolytics. Carbon resistors should never be used for
critical voltage equalizing or voltage dropping
applications, because carbon resistors age down in value
with heat and time. That causes a destructive cycle where
the resistor decreases in value until something fails,
usually an electrolytic or the resistor itself.

Get rid of ANY carbon resistor you see across any
electrolytic in any amp, and replace them with metal based
resistors.

Also they used low voltage rated resistors across diodes.
That's another component selection issue. You can just
remove them and leave only the caps.

Many Dentron amps using sensitive control grid tubes also
don't have grid protection. Some, very stupidly, don't even
have a grid current metering system. You might want to be
sure the MLA has a grid current overload system installed.

73 Tom