Re: [Amps] MOVs on HV PS

Subject: Re: [Amps] MOVs on HV PS
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:43:56 -0700
I have several surge/RF filter devices made by Tripp-Lite and they have
3 MOVS in them.  They also have UL/CSA rated caps across all 3 wires but
the caps to the neutral line have smaller capacitance so as to no trip
GFI devices.  Everything in the unit is on the downstream side of a
circuit breaker which is in the hot lead.  No fault can cause continuous
neutral currents that way.  I see no problem with this design and should
the surge/RF filter be placed a long way from the service entrance, your
local equipment does have a measure of protection for large voltage
spikes from either hot/neutral to the chassis alievating the local
equipment to have to sustain this brief voltage.

73,
Larry, W0QE