Re: [Amps] (Amps) This reflector.

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] (Amps) This reflector.
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:30:35 -0500
On 20th March Peter wrote...

"...there is, I feel, the problem that the books don't always agree, and
neither are they necessarily readily understandable - even when they are
right."

************************

It's really quite amazing how much information one can miss if one is
limited to but a small realm of reference...

Case in point: I always knew that one day in my "radio career" I'd homebrew
a linear amplifier, even before I got licensed in 1971. To this end, I
immersed myself in the publications that were put out in the day by the
ARRL --- QST, The RADIO AMATEUR'S HANDBOOK, the SSB HANDBOOK, etc. etc.

It wasn't until years later --- after I read a few of Bill Orr's pieces ---
that I discovered some "spins" on the genre that were never even touched
upon in the League's papers, like (for example) the advantages of using a
variable inductor in a 10-meter pi-tank, & resonating the band utilizing
this feature in conjunction with the internal capacitance of my tubes.

Heaven only knows what undiscovered (to me) treasures the different RSGB
publications have hidden within their pages!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that no matter how wise we may think
we are as individuals, we can all benefit from the experiences of others ---
even if those others may (apparently) have little to offer, aside from maybe
just one single nugget of information. Nobody should be condemned, censored,
or otherwise made sport of simply because of what they might not know ---
perhaps they never had benefit of the width & breadth of experience of
others...and for that reason their search for information should be
accommodated in a non-patronizing way, in keeping with rule #4 of "The
Amateur's Code."

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ