Re: [Amps] amp hardware

To: Steve Flood <flood@ixi.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] amp hardware
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:33:44 +0200 (CEST)
Steve asked:
>If I'm building up an amp (the RF compartment particularly) with aluminum
>sheet and angle stock, should I be using aluminum bolts/nuts/washers to avoid
>galvanic corrosion?<
Is it going to be in the shack, or outside in a damp shed?
If in an indoor shack, I wouldn't bother.
Even in a damp shed, I've had no problems with aluminium and BZP (bright zinc
plated) steel hardware. For parts in a RF field, I'd use plated brass for
preference. . I've never found aluminium alloy screws too succesful, although
it may be that I'm too heavy handed - they always break before they seem to be
tight!
It's worthwhile for a nice finish to 'soak' the aluminium for 15 minutes or so
in a strongish caustic soda bath. Do it in a well ventilated area because of
the hydrogen given off. Afterwards, ideally dip in a 20% nitric acid bath, and
if that isn't available, swab down with a cloth soaked in vinegar - this will
remove the black deposit. It helps paint to stick, too. An alternative
attractive finish is a wire brush in the electric drill. In that case, wear
goggles and gloves, and afterwards, give it a coat of clear lacquer. Even if
the aluminium isn't in view, it's good workmanship.....
73
Peter G3RZP