Re: [Amps] amp hardware

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] amp hardware
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:59:13 -0600
I've used this caustice soda (sodium hydroxide) treatment on aluminum many
times, especially for front panels, with good luck.

Aside from the somewhat dangerous aspects of this prceedure, a real problem
is that if you are going to drill and tap any of the treated parts, do so
after the treatment.

If you drill and tap, and then treat the aluminum, the sodium hydroxide will
considerably enlarge the holes, and reduce the threads, to the point that
the bolts will easily strip them out.

As I often say:  "Been there, done that".

73, Barrie, W7ALW