Re: [Amps] Tank circuit Q

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tank circuit Q
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:13:48 +0200 (CEST)
Tom commented
>They are a sign of bad
engineering, just as the shorted taps on the toroid were.<
I don't know about Tom, but I've never been a great lover of toroids in tank
circuits - there's the short circuited turns problem (although the iron dust
toroids generally have a lower permeability, so the leakage reactance is a bit
higher which helps), and the there's the problem of ensuring that the material
isn't driven too far round its hysterisis curve so that distortion results. One
4 channel HF SSB rig that I worked on (pair of 6146Bs) had toroids: we ended up
with 4 toroids, one for each channel - i.e. each channel had its own tank
circuit. Originally designed to go to 16MHz we naturally had a demand for them
up to go to 24MHz, and then the efficiency got pushed up by going to some air
dux instead. Then the receiver image response was a problem so we fitted single
crystal filters.
73
Peter G3RZP: