Re: [Amps] Tank circuit Q

To: g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tank circuit Q
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <mmornhin@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:41:03 -0400
Hi Peter!

> Adding to this, I have a conference paper from 1963 describing a 75kW
> HF tx. There, the tank coil was a variable, made from silver plated
> copper tube, with a sliding contact of silver loaded graphite, and
> air was forced down the tube for cooling....Rich Measures always
> advocated that one ensures that there is some air flow to cool tank
> coils, and I am somewhat in agreement.

The tank coils of real big transmitters are often water cooled! When you
already have the water circuit to cool the tubes, it's not that much
more effort. I guess you would need some coiled water hoses as chokes,
though! :-)

 > I'd hate to have their electricity bill...

I plan to eliminate MY electricity bill quite soon, by means of
harnessing a little stream and putting it through a turbine! Then I
might built an amp like that Italian ham, I don't remember his website
now... He used a 4CX15000 or so, taking two 10kW main circuits to feed
two high voltage supplies and then arrange them in series. The third
10kW circuit was used for the filament, cooling pumps and blowers, and
auxiliary stuff like lighting his house... He didn't ask much about
regulations! :-)

73,
Manfred.