Re: [Amps] Surface Cleaning Tarnished Aluminum

To: "'Amplifier- List'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Surface Cleaning Tarnished Aluminum
From: "Robert Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:40:31 -0500
I thought we covered this last week.  You don't want to use LYE on aluminum
unless you want it to GO AWAY.  It dissolves it, acid works more controlled.
Lye would cause more pits.

You are probably better off sanding with fine sand paper and then polishing
with polishing compound and a buffing wheel.

I have never gone to this extreme for a cap myself.  Back when I was a kid,
I painted a few with corona dope to raise their breakdown voltage.

Some of the HAM companies are placing mylar or Teflon sheeting between the
plates to raise voltages.  Then you rough surface wouldn't matter.

BOB DD