Re: [Amps] Are there more Tranformer suppliers out there

To: KEVIN ADAM <n9iww@msn.com>, Jim Nowotarski <N3GOO@arrl.net>,amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Are there more Tranformer suppliers out there
From: Jeffrey Okamitsu <jokamitsu@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:03:49 -0800 (PST)
There are very few good ones.

As the world has moved to switching power supplies,
even for high voltage, the need for precision wound HV
transformers has diminshed greatly.

My company uses iron core transformers and oil-filled
HV caps for ferro-resonant power supplies for our
products (microwave powered lamps).

Over the last 10 years many suppliers of these
components have abandoned these product lines for two
reasons:

1) The manufacture of these components is decidely
un-friendly to the environment;
2) Decrease in demand.

Solid-state switching power supply technology for HV
applications, although very expensive on a dollar per
watt basis, has many advantages versus iron-core
transformer technology:

1) Size/weight.
2) Efficiency.
3) Better EMC/EMI compliance.
4) Easier supply chain management.

I predict that within 5 years the suppliers who
provide my company with iron-core HV transformers and
oil-filled caps will exit their respective markets,
which is why we're moving to 100% solid-state
technology on our power supplies.

73, Jeff W3KL