Re: [Amps] MLA-2500

To: <n4zed@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MLA-2500
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:06:05 -0500
> There are places on the web that covers a gold sputtering
> problem with the 2500 and the 8875 tubes due to VHF
> parasitics and other high Mu tubes for that matter.

The issue that kills the tubes in that amp is over drive and
overheating the grid, not "parasitics."  Due to the transverse
cooling the 8875 is rated for 300 watts plate dissipation
(not 400 like the 8874).  Although it is capable of more, the
MLA2500 should be kept to 1200 watts or so of output.

Install a grid trip circuit and replace the inductive swamping
resistor with proper non-inductive resistor directly at the
cathode.  You could even consider increasing the amount of
swamping and/or converting the swamping network to a properly
matched attenuator.  In an ideal world you should add a tuned
input but there is not enough space below the chassis close to
the tube cathodes.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV