Re: [Amps] Oil-caps delating 2/3 ratings?

To: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>, "Han Higasa" <higasa@plum.ocn.ne.jp>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oil-caps delating 2/3 ratings?
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:31:51 -0500
PLEASE, dont compare capacitors designed for HV PS use such as in amps, BC
and similar with high ESR caps designed for various energy discharge
applications.

A true oil filled will pretty much last "almost forever" even when run at
its ratings. I have several 40's thru 60's GE, Aerovox and similar in use
here running very cool at close to their marked voltages. That is another
benefit of those good old PCB's; they keep the heat down.

I also have a 53 MF  5KV discharge cap in a compact 3200V at idle PS used
for a UHF 1500W amp. It shows just a small amount of heat during contest
operation.

Carl
KM1H