Re: [Amps] Transceiver Output Impedance

To: jeremy-ca <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transceiver Output Impedance
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:15:21 -0400
jeremy-ca wrote:
> I remember reading a letter from Kenwood about 20 years ago that stated that
> their SS PA stages were designed to operate into 25-75 Ohm loads since 50
> Ohm cable was not a world wide standard.
>
> Ive been operating my TS-940's ( and TS-930's before that) into 75 Ohm loads
> since the late 80's with no difficulty and no power foldback. I do not use
> an antenna tuner, built in or external.

Many years ago in a different life I was in the amateur radio business
when it was quite profitable. I used to loan out  an HF transceiver or
two to local groups for special operations, FD, or demonstrations.
These were all solid state. When asked about antennas I used to tell
them to use what ever was handy. Many times the antenna was nothing more
than a wire stuck in the coax jack. Who knows what the impedances those
finals saw.  Over the years I only lost one set of finals and the
manufacturer replaced the entire final unit, not just the transistors.

73

Roger (K8RI)
www.rogerhalstead.com