[Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 07:21:27 -0700
Everyone seems to agree that a glitch resistor between the plate choke
and the HV supply is a good idea, to limit huge current surges due to
arcs caused by gas, etc. But recommendations for the value seem to vary
all over the map.

For a single 3-500Z, I have heard the following:

10 ohms 10 w
15 ohms 10 w (R. Measures supplies this in his kits)
25 ohms 25 w (I've used this in the past)
50 ohms 3 w

My feeling is that no power rating less than 25 watts should be used
because of voltage considerations. And if 50 ohms is chosen, it will
dissipate 8 watts during normal operation with 400 ma. plate current, so
  even assuming a 50% duty cycle, a 3 watt resistor is marginal. And
certainly the voltage rating is inadequate!

Any suggestions or comments?
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco