Re: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z glitch resistor
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 09:13:57 +0100
> Everyone seems to agree that a glitch resistor between the plate choke
> and the HV supply is a good idea, to limit huge current surges due to
> arcs caused by gas, etc. But recommendations for the value seem to vary
> all over the map.

I like the look of Vishay RCH series or similar (Tyco do an
equivalent). The 50W version is rated at 5.5W without heatsink and
is specified to handle 2500Vrms (that's 3500V peak) short term
overload. If you want to bolt it to a panel for heatsinking, the
insulation is rated for 3500Vrms (5kV peak).

Steve