[Amps] Use Aviation mineral oil (WAS Re: Non Detergent motor oil for dum

Subject: [Amps] Use Aviation mineral oil (WAS Re: Non Detergent motor oil for dummy loads)
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:18:11 -0500

DAVE WHITE wrote:
> ATF!  Now there's an idea.  I'd often wondered what was best for this job.  I
> think the main parameter is that it's not synthetic.

I doubt that it really matters, nor do I think the sulfur in some oils
will make much of a difference unless the DL is operated at elevated
temperatures for some time.  Typically the problem with those oils is
water from combustion products forming acid.

BTW if you want mineral oil it is readily available in one quart
containers at your local airport maintenance facility.  New and rebuilt
aircraft engines use mineral oil during their break in period.  It's
been so long since we had a break in period with automotive engines I
think most people have forgotten.

73

Roger (K8RI)