Re: [Amps] pole transformer

Subject: Re: [Amps] pole transformer
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 00:21:51 -0500

Doug Renwick wrote:
> This is a MSDS of PCB.  It doesn't answer my question.  Someone want to
> have a go at my question?
>
> Doug
>
> Life is not a spectator sport.

Speaking as my own opinion:
As long as the oil stays in the can there is no danger.
If you get some on you, wash it off...thoroughly.
It can be absorbed through the skin and it can allow other chemicals
through the skin at the same time. (I've forgotten the name of this
effect). Don't inhale the vapors, or work with the stuff in an enclosed
area as it can cause liver damage.
Short term I doubt getting some on your skin is all that dangerous. Note
the effects in Hazards Identification. IOW as shown they are minor.
Long term effects are something else.

OTOH if the can leaks it's is a danger to the environment as it has a
very long lifetime. Contaminated soil and water can present some serious
problems.  Contaminated water can lead to ingestion which brings the
carcinogenic properties and liver damage to the forefront.

The synopsis for me is, I'd not hesitate to use caps or transformers
with the stuff in them, BUT as David said, I'd not go out and purchase
anything with PCBs in them as I don't want my heirs, or neighbors to
have to deal with them.

I often work inside an aircraft fuselage with Acetone and Vinyl Ester
resin.  The catalyzed resin is nasty stuff, let alone the Acetone.  I
have to wear a mask using an activated charcoal filter and I wear Latex
or rubber gloves.

As to the MSDS read the one for water. It'd scare you off from drinking
water. <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)