Re: [Amps] pole transformer

To: gzook@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] pole transformer
From: Scott McGrath <mcgrath@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:02:52 -0500
I know - part of the hysteria surrounding hazardous materials is from
the dismal state of scientific education in the US reinforced by
irresponsible disposal practices in the past and subseqent irresponsible
land re-use you simply don't build a housing development over a one time
chemical dump that's just stupid.

Yes many chemicals are toxic in large quantities and/or prolonged
exposure but the way the media hypes the "toxic threat" for ratings
means that many practical and useful chemicals when used responsibly are
now treated with the fear and loathing once reseved for nerve agents.
How many people have been killed or injured by the current crop of
transformer oils which explode and burn as compared to PCB's which
should have been recovered filtered and reused not simply dumped in a
pit the curse and blessing of PCB's is they are virtually immortal but
if properly handled they would not have wreaked the havoc they did.

Scott - N1JIN