Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Values

To: gswynar@durham.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Values
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 07:48:34 EST
Eddy, that's a good question and you are right many amps have totally
different values for their inductance of plate chokes.  I am pretty sure I  saw
this
issue dealt with in the handbook or Orr book, but I don't recall.   Typically
more inductance is not necessarily better, but there must be a minimum  for
the lowest frequency the amp will be used on.  As you indicate the  important
thing is a resonance in the ham bands.  For example the Sb-220  plate choke is
about 90UH and is good for 80 meters you'll need a bit more for  160 though.
The same choke is good all the way to 6 meters excluding  resonant
frequencies.  There is no magical perfect # but rather a minimum  workable
value based on
the lower frequency the amp will be used on.  Most  of the time if your value
of choke is insufficient you will see signs of RF back  into the power
supply.  Lou