Re: [Amps] 3CX800 filament voltage

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX800 filament voltage
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 08:55:53 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
When converting my Alpha 76A to use 2 3CX800A7 tubes, I needed a new filament
transformer.  The problem was that there was very little space inside the amp.
Using appropriate ham ingenuity, I solved the problem inexpensively.  I found
two small, surplus 8 volt @ 2 amp transformers for a few dollars at a surplus
house.  Stacked them on top of each other and they fit in the amp with 1/4" to
spare.  Then inserted the appropriate resistor in the primary to drop the
voltage to 13.5.  That cushions the starting current nicely and left lots of
cash in my pocket.

73,  Colin  K7FM