Re: [Amps] SB-220 troubles

To: "Scott McGrath" <mcgrath@fas.harvard.edu>, <n1miw@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 troubles
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:11:24 -0500
Thats the first time I ever heard that a ~3KV dead short wouldnt blow
something in a SB-220. Do you have a reference to that?

First time I did that it took out the zener, several diodes, and the .82
Ohm resistor by the time a breaker popped. Luckily the Multimeter was
not in the grid position.  Replaced parts and it ran fine for years as
the second radio contest amp.

The second time it blew almost every HV diode and again they were
replaced with higher rated ones, 1N5408's in this case. Finally, and not
trusting my gray matter at 3AM I just bent the bar down.

Never did have to replace a filter cap and that amp got beat on pretty
hard.

Also note that those original diodes are only rated at 600ma.

There is a difference in the failure depending if you are on 120 or
240V. On 240V the filament transformer was also at risk. Heath had a
Change Bulletin on that.

Carl
KM1H