Re: [Amps] SB-220 troubles

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 troubles
From: Jeff Carter <amps@hidden-valley.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:21:34 -0500
That's why I left the HV "protection" out of mine when I built it.

I got called many, many bad names for doing that by the "Safety First"
crowd.  However, I've always worked around HV, and I've worked on this
SB-220 with the HV running.

I still maintain that there's little to no actual benefit to that
"protection" arrangement when seen in contrast with the damage that
will most certainly occur when it is tripped.

I can't see the situation under which a child young enough not to know
better could get access to my house, then access the equipment, take
the amp out of the case, and then take twelve screws out of the top
screen with no tools, all while doing the heavy lifting (this amp
probably weighs 50 pounds).

Any adult who does this, in clear violation of my brand new and
purchased just for this amplifier High Voltage sticker, deserves what
he/she gets.  I'm not going to put all my hard work at risk just to
protect some theoretical idiot.

Jeff/KD4RBG
http://www.kd4rbg.com