Re: [Amps] Silver Plating Tank Coil ??

To: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Silver Plating Tank Coil ??
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:45:28 -0400

ToddRoberts2001@aol.com wrote:
> Hi All,
> If the main goal is to prevent tarnish on a tank coil and
> keep it looking nice,
> wouldn't gold plating be the best to use? Even silver will
> become blackened  with tarnish after a few years
> out in the open atmosphere. I doubt much if any
> difference in efficiency could be measured with a gold plated
> coil vs. silver plated, at Ham power levels at least. Gold
> plating might be superior also for a roller-coil to keep the
> moving contact tarnish-free?

Gold beats them all when it comes to tarnish resistance, but it's very
soft and malleable (Remember the ancients and gold leaf) and where it
counts, resistivity, Gold has roughly 20-25% *higher* resistivity than
does copper and about 50% greater than Silver.  So except for the
tarnish resistance Gold would be a poor choice compared to copper, let
alone silver. OTOH I sure would have liked to have seen that 4-1000 with
the glass top and Gold innards<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)