Re: [Amps] old mags

To: Ham-amps <amps@contesting.com>, Herzog <herzog@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] old mags
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:38:14 -0700 (PDT)
Wayne Green posted his feelings about making copies of 73 Magazine available on
the Internet a couple of months ago on one of the boat anchor reflectors.  He
also communicated directly with me on the subject.

Basically Wayne has no problems with someone scanning and making the material
free on the Internet.  In fact, he has no personal interest (that is he just
doesn't give a hoot what happens to the material) in 73 any more.  However,
there definitely are some serious problems with copyrights which often still
belong to the original author or his/her heirs.  To compound this, during the
last several years of operation, according to Wayne, his office manager
"pocketed" the money that was supposed to be sent to the authors in payment for
the material.  Therefore, those authors (I am one of them) are still due
payment.  Also, at least in my case (I wrote quite a number of articles that
were published in 73 over the years), there was no official transfer of the
copyright and therefore the copyright remains with me.  I believe that such is
true of the vast majority of authors.

I am willing to give permission to reprint all of the material that I hold the
copyrights on those articles that were published in 73 IF the material is
available for no cost what-so-ever.  But, if the person who reprints/scans the
articles gets paid then I definitely will require "part of the action".  It is
because of this problem with copyrights that prevents someone from scanning and
distributing the material.  Remember, under present copyright law the
copyrights remain with the author and then his/her heirs for the life of the
author plus 70 years.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com