Re: [Amps] water cooling

To: Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] water cooling
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:36:45 -0500
Although both distilled and deionized (DI) water have an affinity for
copper and other metals, I'd not expect that to be much of a problem
with the intermittent service at an amateur station. For good measure a
small vinyl tank (5 or 10 gallons) could be used as a holding tank with
the metal parts only receiving water when running. Use a buffer tank
(one or two quarts) so with a pump failure the tube will have that
reserve for protection.

Likewise I'd stay away from soft solder connections like a radiator, but
at amateur power levels it doesn't take a lot of water for efficient and
sufficient cooling. However it does depend on the area of heat transfer
from the anode to water. As a wild guess, I think it'd probably take
between a pint and a quart per minute for a legal limit amp, or even one
of the contest monsters.

In another conversation the subject of water hose length came up. For
those using anode water cooling how long a piece of tubing do you use
for safety and isolation between the plate and ground, or where leaving
the enclosure?  It's been over 20 years since I worked with this stuff
and "as I recall" we used between 15 and 20 feet of coiled hose from the
anode running 6 Kv DC.  IIRC it wasn't a lot more even in the big RF
generators. I don't think we ran over 8 or 10 Kv DC on anything.

73

Roger (K8RI)