Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A Receive muted - relay?

To: "'Amps reflector'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A Receive muted - relay?
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:36:05 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:23:57 -0600, "Dave Harmon" <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Never use emery cloth,

REPLY:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

If you have a relay where the contacts are physically touching but not making
electrical contact, you're going to need something more than just some kind of
cleaning solvent. That stuff is welded on and a fine abrasive is needed. 2000
grit emery cloth works fine, just use a gentle touch and remove only the crud,
not the contact metal itself.

It's been working, as you say, for the last 100 years.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT