Re: [Amps] Used tubes

To: "MIKE DURKIN" <patriot121@msn.com>, <davidhcraig@verizon.net>, "amps fourm" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Used tubes
From: "Jeff Blaine AC0C" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:09:26 -0600
Mike,

I don't think the socket insertion marks are conclusive.  Suggestive but not
reliably conclusive.

To my thinking, a high tension socket will leave the marks and if the mfg or
some interim party put these in a test platform, you would see the marks.

I have bought tubes from QRO-PARTS a few times and have been pleased.  But I
don't think I would buy tubes from an individual per se.  My thinking is
this...  An individual may have NOS unused tubes, on a one-off basis, due to
some horse trading he did at one point, but that would be the exception. The
more likely case is that the guy has used tubes he wants to sell to offset
the cost of the new ones.

On the other hand, if a guy (like QRO PARTS or RF PARTS or MFJ) has a
warehouse full of these tubes, then he really has no particular incentive to
want to sell you his pulls even if he somehow goes through them like popcorn
at the movie theater.  A guy in this line would likely see peddling preused
tubes as NOS to be a good way to get a bad rep and a lot of headaches for
little return.  Hence little incentive to bottom deal you.

Buyer beware, of course, but I would guess that most guys with a decent
track record of web sales would probably do the right thing.

73/jeff/ac0c