[Amps] 4CX300a Seal Leaks

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 4CX300a Seal Leaks
From: "John Finner" <finnerjf@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:08:42 -0500
I read a post by Carl, KM1H on August 10, 2009 that read:

There are several ceramic tubes that are notorious for seal leakage. The
4CX300A is a classic.

This post is directed to Carl. The list might also be interested. I would be
interested in a brief explanation of the problem.

I have 7 NOS JAN 4CX300A's an am building a 3 tube passive grid driven amp. The
date codes are 7204, 7432 and 7634 if this makes a difference. Are the JAN
Eimac tubes less problematic?

The amp is in a simibreadboard state with 4CX250B's. Since I now have 3 sockets
for the 4CX300A's, I will switch tubes and raise the Ep to 2500 V. I do not
want to waste my time if I am going to have a problem with this change.

John WA4EPI