Re: [Amps] 4CX300a Seal Leaks

To: finnerjf@worldnet.att.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX300a Seal Leaks
From: texasrf@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 22:00:42 EST

John, this where you pull out your trusty hv leakage tester and check for
leakage between the anode and screen grid. If there is onset of leakage at a
 voltage of 1000vdc or so, there is a very high likelihood that the tube
is unusable. On the other hand, if the leakage shows up at 3 or 4 kv, there
is a good chance the tube is ok.

You don't have a hv leakage tester? They are easy to cobble together  from
an old microwave oven transformer, diodes and filter caps. The  transformers
are usually in the 2100vac range so a half wave doubler using  two
microwave oven diodes and two filter caps will get you up to about 6  kV. A 4 X
multiplier using four diodes and four caps will get you to about 12  kV. A
small
variac on the primary will allow voltage adjustment. The only other  parts
needed will be a micro ampere meter and current limiting resistor to
protect the uA meter. An old Tripplet 630 VOM with a 6kV scale will serve very
well for both the uA meter and the limiting resistor. Just use the 6 kV range
and connect in series with one of the hv tester output leads.

Old microwave oven parts are always listed on Ebay for reasonable prices. I
 have purchased several complete but defective ovens for as little as zero
dollars only paid for shipping and all had good transformers, diodes and
capacitors.

A local appliance repair store might well have some they would like to get
rid of.

If you have a hv power supply with enough voltage, that can also serve as a
 leakage tester. Just use the same VOM/6 kV scale in series with the B+ for
 testing. Beware high voltage! Be careful!

73, Gerald K5GW

 a message dated 1/15/2010 8:24:39 P.M. Central Standard Time,