Re: [Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages

To: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:52:08 -0500

Alek Petkovic wrote:
> G'day Rob
>
> It is not any "camp" that makes the claim of shortened emissive life
> due to high filament voltage. It is Eimac, in its "Care And Feeding"
> book. For every 3% increased in filament voltage, the life is
> shortened by 50%. In the case of Ameritron's 10%, one would expect
> around 12% of normal tube life. (Didn't someone recommend Ameritron
> here a couple of days ago on a different thread? Ha ha)

Don't forget, that line voltages can vary over quite a wide range and
there are taps on many transformers to adjust for the proper output
voltage. Line voltage can easily vary up to around 10%. I don't know
what the specs are now for AC, but it "used to be pretty tight".  Still
I remember a couple of times back in the 60's and 70's of calling the
power company because we were going through light bulbs like crazy. We
were at the head end of a very long line so we ran near the upper limit
just to get enough voltage to the other end.

Current line voltage right now is 118/236. I've never seen it go outside
115-118 except for some failures.

73

Roger (K8RI)