Re: [Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages

To: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron (et. al.) filament voltages
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:04:34 -0500

Ron Youvan wrote:
>> Don't forget, that line voltages can vary over quite a wide range and
>> there are taps on many transformers to adjust for the proper output
>> voltage. Line voltage can easily vary up to around 10%. I don't know
>> what the specs are now for AC, but it "used to be pretty tight".  Still
>> I remember a couple of times back in the 60's and 70's of calling the
>> power company because we were going through light bulbs like crazy. We
>> were at the head end of a very long line so we ran near the upper limit
>> just to get enough voltage to the other end.
>>

>> Current line voltage right now is 118/236. I've never seen it go outside
>> 115-118 except for some failures.
>>

>    Just after I got married I bought two 75 Watt long life 120 Volt "Krypton"
> lamps for my new front
> porch lamp as it was a pain to change.  (at $5 each)  The first lasted 1/2 an
> hour, thinking it was
> a "juvenile failure" I installed the second, which lasted 1/2 an hour.  I got
> out my VOM and
> measured 135 Volts, after that I was particular to never pay more than 9
> Cents each for a lamp.
> (Canadian GE's)  The next day the live voltage was normal.

One of the times we were losing incandescent lights I measured the
voltage and although I don't remember the exact voltage it was high, so
I called the power company.  I told the power company engineer what I
was seeing for voltage and he questioned the value and how I knew it was
accurate. His response when I tole him I calibrated meters traceable to
the national bureau of standards, was, I wish you hadn't said that as
being that far out of spec means a lot of paper work to turn in.  I
said, how about letting me rephrase that.  We're losing a lot of light
bulbs and I think the voltage is probably high, do you think you could
do something about it?  There was a sigh on the other end followed by a
thank you. The next day our voltage was back to normal and they were
quick to respond to any call I made after that.

73

Roger (K8RI)