Re: [Amps] 3000/5000

To: Jim Thomson <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3000/5000
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 04:48:12 -0500

Jim Thomson wrote:
> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:54:48 -0500
> From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] 3000/5000
>
> 4CX5000 is designed for a coaxial tube socket while the 3CX5000 is
> designed for direct chassis mounting with no socket as such, required.
> The 5000 is quite capable of requiring you to change all the coax
> connectors and matching networks. OTOH The 3000 with 3500 watts plate
> dissipation,  is no slouch being capable of almost 6KW continuous output.
>
> The 4CX5000 OTOH at 8.25" X 4.94" and 9.5# is a tad larger than most of
> us are used to and is easily capable of 10KW output. OTOH it's smaller
> than a 4-1000A, but more than a tad heavier. One data sheet lists the
> max frequency as 220 MHz.  But with that you certainly could be
> guaranteed of getting into the local repeater<:-)) Of course exposure
> limits would be such that you'd need to put the antennas in the middle
> of a fenced in field as well as having to construct nearly all of your
> system from amp to antennas.
> .
>
> Can you imagine building an all band HF amp and what it'd take for a
> tank circuit and band switch?
>
> ##  pretty straight forward Roger.. old news. A model 85/88

I figured there must be a simple way. OTOH that switch doesn't look much
like the ones in the old SB200 or 30S-1 <:-))
> 3 x wafer switch is used.. with all 3 x wafers in parallel for
> more current.  [multi-tech industries]  That's what's used
> on YU-148's  4 x 5's.. etc.
>
> ##  the Emtron DX-4  6 kw amp  uses a model 86  switch,
> with 2 x wafers in parallel.
>

> ###  FYI....  EMTRON  is going to do just that.  Called a  DX-5.. and will
> use a Chinese  4CX-5000
I've seen the stats on it in an e-mail from Rudy.  The DX-4 still uses a
pair of GU84B's.  OTOH We don't have 3 phase through our subdivision the
DX-5 would require  and getting consumers to run it in...is a bit beyond
my budget.  Shipping would be a bit steep too. Still, you can get a 3
phase PS for the DX4 as well.
>     Slated for 8 kw out CCS... it's  supposed to
> have vac caps, and the whole 9 yards. Power supply available in either
> 240 v single phase... or 400 v
I thought it was the DX-4 that gave you a choice with the DX-5 being
3-phase only.
>   3 phase [ eu hams]    Supposed to be
> coming out later this year.  [160-10m]
>
> later........... Jim  VE7RF

That's what I need on 2-meters<:-))  I could make WAR on one
transmission. IOW, Worked All Repeaters and that'd probably start one.
OTOH I have worked the local repeater 1470/177.6  from 22,000 feet over
Ohio without brining up any that were much closer.  I was sitting on the
back end of the console in the King Air between the pilot and copilot.
My wife was just leaving home for the airport as we were passing over
central Ohio.   She was pulling into the parking lot as we were landing.
I fly a Beech, but it's 6 cylinders, unpressurized, close to 200 MPH,
and has a service ceiling of 19,500. At 19. 5 I'd be lucky to make 140
MPH but my gas mileage would be one whale of a lot better than the King Air.

73

Roger (K8RI)