Re: [Amps] 3000/5000

To: Jim Thomson <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3000/5000
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:57:32 -0500

Jim Thomson wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 04:48:12 -0500
> From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] 3000/5000
>

> Jim Thomson wrote:
>

> I figured there must be a simple way. OTOH that switch doesn't look much
> like the ones in the old SB200 or 30S-1 <:-))
>
> ##  The 'switch' in a SB-200 is not the real deal.
>
> http://www.multi-tech-industries.com/rswitches.html

Thank you for the link!
>  ## These are the real deal.  Very reliable and you can still
> buy every bit and piece for them.  I had Skip Coleman at
> multi-tech  custom make me  sequential 5 x pole rotor's
> for all 3 x wafers of my 88 switch.  What ham's call a
> 'shorting switch',  is actually  a 'multiple pole rotor'
>

>> ###  FYI....  EMTRON  is going to do just that.  Called a  DX-5.. and will
>> use a Chinese  4CX-5000
>>

> I've seen the stats on it in an e-mail from Rudy.  The DX-4 still uses a
> pair of GU84B's.
>
> ## latest I heard was that DX-2  was to have one  Chinese 4CX-1500B

I had a pair of those arrive on Monday. Tubes, sockets, and chimneys.
> DX-3  was to get a a pair of 1500B's
> DX-4  was to get a 3 x  1500B's
That's the information I have except for the DX-4

My information dates 1/13 so you may have more up-to-date information.

>  OTOH We don't have 3 phase through our subdivision the
> DX-5 would require  and getting consumers to run it in...is a bit beyond
> my budget.
>
> ##  you can't get  3 -phase in 98% of  most sub divisions.
>

>  Shipping would be a bit steep too.
>
> ## agreed.  very expensive.
>

>  Still, you can get a 3 phase PS for the DX4 as well.
>
>>     Slated for 8 kw out CCS... it's  supposed to

I don't think he can squeeze quite that much out of three FU728's.
Close, but not quite.
>> have vac caps, and the whole 9 yards. Power supply available in either
>> 240 v single phase... or 400 v
>>
> I thought it was the DX-4 that gave you a choice with the DX-5 being
> 3-phase only.
>

> ###  His 3 phase  models run on 400 vac  @  50 hz.  They are not
> intended for the NA  market. [HV supplies]

But I might want to do some heat treating<:-))  No, that would be well
beyond the budget. I couldn't even rationalize that let alone justify it
to my wife and I might be able to rationalize the 3 phase for the shop.
I'd love to have that capability though. OTOH the machine shop is as
much a hobby as amateur radio, but I can dream.

Then again, the feeds around here get confusing.  From our road and to
the West the homes are fed by a newer , single phase line (and less
reliable) than those to the East. I haven't paid much attention, but
it's available at the farms to the East of us and the homes between us
and them are fed from that direction...So...It's not far to it.
> ## as long as you have 200A  service,
That's what I have in the shop.  I would have liked 3 phase for a lathe
and mill as single phase or even a single phase with inverter limits the
size motors I can run.

73

Roger (K8RI)