Re: [Amps] FW: WD-40 Is Not....

To: "Charlie Young" <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: WD-40 Is Not....
From: "Paul Kraemer" <elespe@lisco.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:11:28 -0600
From: "Charlie Young" <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 4:52 PM
Subject: [Amps] FW: WD-40 Is Not....

Gerald, K5GW asks:

> Say, I have always wondered about snake oil: Is it supposed to attract
> snakes?,repel snakes?, made from snakes? or what?

I don't know about snake oil, but can tell you something
that makes snakes mad.  They don't like paint from an
aerosol can.  Back in the mid 1970's  I lived in a hillside
house that was on a full basement. My shack was in the
basement. Returning from Field Day, my son and I were
unloading equipment. Something moved on top of my back
basement wall, which was made from cider block. There was
a snake up there. I took a 6' long steel bar, which coal miners call a slate
bar, and prodded the thing trying to crush
it.  The snake slithered down inside the block, but poked its head out and
was looking at me. I would jab, it would duck
down inside the block.

No way I could leave a snake inside my basement wall.
What to do?  There was a can of red insulating spray paint
on the workbench.  I grabbed the can, and sprayed the paint
inside the block.  Instantly, the snake came out of the block, down the wall
to the floor, and charged me.  I jumped in a chair which fortunately was
handy, and killed the snake with
the metal bar while it was on the floor, between legs of the chair. It was a
big rattlesnake.

I figure WD40 would have had a similar effect.

There is more to this story.

My wife and sons went grocery shopping later that day. I started thinking
that where there was one snake, there might be another.  While they were
gone, I checked out the basement carefully again.  Sure enough, on top of
the block wall about 12' from where the first snake was, there was a second
one.  This one was coiled up and chose to fight it out with me from his (or
her) position.  I managed to kill it with the metal bar but with
considerable difficulty.  Another huge rattlesnake.

I found the snakes had crawled through a gap in the sill plate on top of my
basement wall.

So, don't spray a snake (especially a rattlesnake) with spray
paint or WD40 unless you have a place to run or something to climb on to get
away from the thing.

73 Charlie N8RR

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
now.