Re: [Amps] placement of RF choke bypass cap.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] placement of RF choke bypass cap.
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:37:01 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:54:46 -0400, "Gary Schafer"
<garyschafer@comcast.net> wrote:

>So if there is skin effect in play inside of the coax why do you think that
>there is not in a flat plate conducting RF current?

REPLY:

I never said there wasn't, in fact I agreed there is. Go back are read
my previous posts in this thread.

What I did say was that the presence of skin effect did not prevent RF
from flowing through a flat plate at a 90 degree angle, as the two
recent experiments proved.

Electrons respond to both electric and magnetic fields. Skin effect is
primarily a magnetic effect caused by eddy currents in the body of the
conductor which repel electrons away from the center and toward the
skin, but that repulsion can be overcome by a positive charge which
pulls the electrons in a different direction. The skin effect current
and the "wire through the plate" current are at 90 degrees to each
other. The effect of on the other appears to be very small.

As the two gentlemen showed, there is no reason both effects can not
be present at the same time.

73, Bill W6WRT