Re: [Amps] placement of RF choke bypass cap.

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] placement of RF choke bypass cap.
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:22:29 +0200
Coaxial cable depends on an electromagnetic field whose end point are on the
inside of the shield and the outside of the center conductor.
For that matter, it's the same effect that keeps a parallel conductor
transmission line from radiating.
This effect holds true at all frequencies, so that in theory transmission
line- per definition- have infinite bandwidth.
What does cause a cutoff effect is the loses- they increase as the square of
frequency- and the consist of dielectric losses and Ohmic losses due to skin
effect.
If you check at a low enough frequency, you will observe an increase in
leaked radiation, due partly to punch over of internal energy through the
too thin external shield. That's one of the reasons the make double shielded
cable, not only to reduce high frequency leakage.
Alex    4Z5KS