Re: [Amps] LCR mteter.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LCR mteter.
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 09:53:35 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 00:23:16 -0700, "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
wrote:

>## Not a chance Bill.   Sure  Myself, and everybody else  does the
>same trick u do,,,, put a non inductive Resistor, between  anode and chassis
>and the put the MFJ  on the output, and activate the T/R  relays.
>
>## Tune and load caps  are then tweaked for  flat swr on the MFJ. This
>procedure alone, doesn't help  FINDING correct  coil  taps  one bit !
>EG:  I could easily have almost double the  uh  required  for say 40m....
>and simply REDUCE the tune + load cap values.. till  swr on mfj  reads 1:1.

REPLY:

You say "not a chance Bill" and then you say you do exactly what I do.
What do you mean by "not a chance Bill"?

Second, when using the MFJ for this, the way I prefer is to preset the
tune cap for the value shown in the spreadsheets and then DO NOT TOUCH
it during the rest of the procedure. Adjust the load cap and change
the tap on the coil until you have the SWR 1:1. That way you end up
with the correct value of tune C and Q. Can't miss. Also, when
pre-setting the tune cap, be sure to have the tube anode connected so
it's capacitance is included too. If you are using a low frequency
C-meter such as the AADE unit, disconnect the plate choke lest it
throw the C measurement off.

73, Bill W6WRT