[Amps] Indirectly heated cathodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Indirectly heated cathodes
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@f2s.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:33:09 +0100
> ##  dunno abt   Indirectly  heated tubes.  I don't think you can drop the V
> very much ['dark heat']
> I believe, even if that's  done... you still  have to wait XXX  minutes,
> which
> might be slightly less than
> the  normal 3 mins.   I believe there is a very  narrow window  for  fil v on
> INdirectly heated tubes.
> Too low, and you contaminate the fil.   Although the  YC-156  has a 6 min
> warm
> up, Eimac tell's
> me to use 8 mins.
>
> later... Jim   VE7RF

To avoid confusuon, it's the oxide cathode rather than the
fil(ament) that can suffer from too low a heater voltage in an
indirectly heated tube.

I'm not sure about the 'narrow window'. Most tubes I can think of
specify something like 10% tolerance on the heater voltage,
similar to many directly heated ones.

Steve